Cleaning the house after the flood has always been a tiring and troublesome routine, right? If it is not cleaned quickly, your home will become a den of disease. Look for a fire water damage restoration to ease your job.
The steps to clean the house after the flood must be done carefully. The thing to remember is that many important lines such as electrical and telephone cables can be dangerous if not handled properly.
Here are some tips for cleaning a house after a flood:
Pay attention to the flow of electricity
• If you are going to turn off the power source, make sure the area around you is dry. Avoid doing this if you stand in a waterlogged place.
• Turn off the gas cylinder. If you inhale the smell of gas leaking, immediately turn off the gas, open the entire window, and leave the house as soon as possible.
• Try to return home during the day so you don’t have to turn on the lights.
• Use a flashlight for lighting and avoid using candles.
• Clean walls, floors, stairs, and surfaces of the furniture with water and soap. Instead, use water mixed with disinfectant or bleach.
• Be careful when cleaning items that can come into contact with food, such as refrigerators, dining tables, kitchen racks, and eating utensils.
• Don’t forget to clean the child’s play area.
• For items that cannot be washed like a mattress, you can dry them in the sun. Then spray with disinfectant liquid.
• Wash and clean your carpet.
• Remove and dispose of objects in your home that cannot be cleaned.
• If there is still stagnant water, clean the house using rubber boots and waterproof gloves.
Drying the house
• If the house has closed in a few days, open all windows and doors. Leave for 30 minutes before you stay long in the house.
• After making sure the electricity is safe enough to use, turn on the fan immediately. The goal is to help get rid of moist air to avoid mold. Make sure the fan is pointing towards the outside of the room.
• After you finish cleaning the house, don’t forget to clean your body with clean running water and soap.
• Leave your child and pets outside the home.
Before starting to take action to clean up, make sure the house is safe.
First Call Restoration Crew
Suite 402/447 Kent St Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 8311 7377